Peter H. Langsjoen Short Biography
Peter H. Langsjoen, M.D., F.A.C.C. has been practicing
cardiology 26 years since 1985. After
five years of invasive cardiology at the University of
Texas Health Center at
Dr. Peter Langsjoen is a founding member of the Executive
Committee of the International Coenzyme Q10 Association (www.ICQA.org), he is a Fellow of the American
College of Cardiology, a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society,
American College of Physicians, Association of American Physicians and Surgeons,
Texas Club of Cardiologists, Texas Medical Association and Smith County Medical
Society. Coenzyme Q10
continues to be a major part of Dr. Langsjoen's clinical practice as well as an
ongoing research endeavor. Over the past
six years Dr. Langsjoen and his wife Alena have established a research
PETER H. LANGSJOEN, M.D., F.A.C.C.
OF BIRTH: May 3, 1954,
Children - Jens,
E-MAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
WORLD WIDE WEB: www.ICQA.org
Chemistry with Honors.
University of Texas Health Science Center,
Medicine Residency, 1980-1983.
CERTIFICATIONS: Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1983.
Diplomate, American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease, 1985.
LICENSURE: 1980 - present,
SOCIETIES: Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society - Member
Association of American Physicians and Surgeons - Member
The International Coenzyme Q10 Association - founding member of the executive committee 1997 to present www.ICQA.org
1983-1985: Involved in the first double blind controlled
study of coenzyme Q10 in cardiomyopathy with Per H. Langsjoen, M.D.,
F.A.C.C. during cardiology fellowship at Scott and
Associate Professor of Medicine and staff invasive cardiologist at The
University of Texas Health Center at Tyler,
Performed the first exploratory treatment of AIDS patients with coenzyme Q10
at the University of Texas Health Center in
1990-present: Private practice of non-invasive cardiology,
Presentations at many conferences in countries worldwide, including the 6th, 8th and 9th International Symposiums on the Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q in Rome, Italy, 1990, in Stockholm, Sweden 1993 and in Ancona, Italy 1996, respectively and at the First, Third, Fourth and Fifth Conferences of the International Coenzyme Q10 Association in Boston, USA 1998, in London, UK 2002, in Los Angeles, USA 2005 and in Kobe., Japan 2007.
Became a Founding Member of the Executive Committee of the International
Coenzyme Q10 Association, based in
2008-present: Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of the Life Extension Foundation
Ongoing research into application of coenzyme Q10 to the treatment of broad range of cardiovascular diseases, including long term follow up study in heart failure, in primary and statin-induced diastolic dysfunction, hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and in hypertensive heart disease. Dr. Langsjoen and his wife, Alena, have accumulated much experience in monitoring plasma levels of both reduced coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinol) and oxidized coenzyme Q10 (ubiquinone) by electrochemical detection since 2004.
1. Langsjoen, P.H. and Langsjoen, A.M. Supplemental ubiquinol in patients with advanced congestive heart failure. BioFactors 2008;32:119-128.
2. Langsjoen, P.H. Alleviating Congestive Heart Failure with Coenzyme Q10. Life Extension Magazine 2008(Feb);14(2):48-55.
3. Vos E, Mascitelli L, Langsjoen PH. Statin contraindicated in heart failure. Angiology. 2008 Oct-Nov;59(5):640; author reply 641-2. Epub 2008 Sep 25. Comment on: Angiology. 2008 Feb-Mar;59(1):5-8.
4. Littarru G.P., Langsjoen P. Coenzyme Q10 and statins: biochemical and clinical implications. Mitochondrion. 2007 Jun;7 Suppl:S168-74.
5. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen J.O., Langsjoen A.M., Lucas L.A. Treatment of statin adverse effects with supplemental Coenzyme Q10 and statin drug discontinuation. Biofactors. 2005;25(1-4):147-52.
6. Langsjoen P.H., Littarru. G.P., Silver, M.A. Role of concomitant coenzyme Q10 with statins for patients with hyperlipidemia, Current Topics in Nutriceutical Research 2005;3(3):149158.
7. Silver MA, Langsjoen PH,
Szabo S, Patil H, Zelinger A. Statin cardiomyopathy? A potential role for
Co-Enzyme Q10 therapy for statin-induced changes in diastolic
8. Silver, M.A., Langsjoen, P.H., Szabo, S., Patil, H., Zelinger, A. Effect of atorvastatin on left ventricular diastolic function and ability of coenzyme Q10 to reverse that dysfunction. American Journal of Cardiology 2004; 94:1306-1310.
9. Langsjoen P.H, Langsjoen, A.M. The clinical use of HMG CoA-reductase inhibitors and the associated depletion of coenzyme Q10. A review of animal and human publications. BioFactors 2003;18:101-111.
10. Langsjoen P.H. Comment. J Am Coll Cardiol 2000 Mar 1;35(3):816-7.
11. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen A.M. Overview of the Use of CoQ10 in Cardiovascular Disease. BioFactors 1999;9:273-284.
12. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen
A.M. Review of Coenzyme Q10 in Cardiovascular Disease with Emphasis
on Heart Failure and Ischemia Reperfusion.
13. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen A., Willis A, Folkers, K. The Aging Heart: Reversal of Diastolic Dysfunction Through the Use of Oral CoQ10 in the Elderly. Anti-Aging Medical Therapeutics, 1997, R.M.Klatz and R. Goldman eds., Health Quest Publications, pp.113-120.
14. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen A., Willis R., Folkers K. Treatment of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy with Coenzyme Q10. Mol Aspects Med, 1997;18 Suppl.:s145-s151.
15. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H., Willis R., Folkers K. Treatment of essential hypertension with coenzyme Q10. Mol. Aspects of Med. 1994;15 Suppl. s265-s272.
16. Langsjoen H.A., Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H., Willis R., Folkers K. (1994) Usefulness of coenzyme Q10 in clinical cardiology, a long-term study. Mol. Aspects of Med. 15 Suppl. s165-s175.
17. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen
P.H., Folkers K. Isolated diastolic dysfunction of the myocardium and its
response to CoQ10 treatment.
Folkers, K., Mortensen
18. Folkers K., Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H. Therapy with coenzyme Q10 of patients in heart failure who are eligible or ineligible for a transplant. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1992 Jan 15, 182(1):247-53.
19. Folkers K; Hanioka T; Xia LJ; McRee JT Jr; Langsjoen P. Coenzyme Q10 increases T4/T8 ratios of lymphocytes in ordinary subjects and relevance to patients having the AIDS related complex. Biochem Biophys Res Commun, 176: 2, 1991 Apr 30, 786-91.
20. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H., Folkers K., Richardson P. (1991) Treatment of patients with human immunodeficiency virus infection with coenzyme Q10. Folkers K., Littarru G.P., and Yamagami, T., (eds) Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q, 6:409-415.
21. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen, P.H., Folkers, K. Long term efficacy and safety of coenzyme Q10 therapy for idiopathic dilated cardiomyopathy. The American Journal of Cardiology, 1990;65:521 - 523.
22. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H., Folkers K. A six-year clinical study of therapy of cardiomyopathy with Coenzyme Q10. Int. J. Tiss. Reac. 1990; XII, vol. 3 pp. 169-171.
23. Langsjoen PH, Folkersn K, Lyson K, Muratsu K, Lyson T, Langsjoen P. Pronounced increase of survival of patients with cardiomyopathy when treated with coenzyme Q10 and conventional therapy. Int. J. Tissue React. 1990;12(3):163-8.
24. Langsjoen P.H., Folkers K., Lyson K., Muratsu K., Lyson T., Langsjoen Peter H. (1988) Effective and safe therapy with coenzyme Q10 for cardiomyopathy. Klin. Wochenschr. 66:583-593.
25. Folkers K., Langsjoen P.H.,
26. Langsjoen P.H., Langsjoen P.H., Morishita M., Muratzu K., Lyson K., Folkers K. The long-term value of Coenzyme Q10 in patients with cardiomyopathy. Biomedical and Clinical Aspects of Coenzyme Q, Folkers K., Yamamura Y.,(eds), Elsevier, Amsterdam 1986;5:303-308.